WordPress' Gutenberg editor offers a versatile approach to creating and editing content on the platform. For users not particularly comfortable with some of the features and functionalities of the traditional WordPress editor, Gutenberg offers a more flexible, more convenient alternative.
Thanks to these reasons, and its flexibility and adaptability, it is no surprise that a lot of amazing plugins exist out there all built to serve as a consolidation to the traditional editor and provide numerous Gutenberg-support functions.
We take a look at some of the best of these plugins. We also analyse their pros and cons and the features that make them special.
1. MB Blocks
MB Blocks is a PHP-based Gutenberg extension from Meta Box, another WordPress development company known for its simplicity and elegance. MB Blocks is particularly worth mentioning thanks to its ease-of-use, which it gets by not sacrificing simplicity for innovation, but instead perfectly combines both such that it doesn't differ so much in operation from its predecessors, but is at the same time a significant upgrade from them.
The ease-of-use also ensures that setup is remarkably easy, and all you have to do to have a great looking website is register your domain, secure a hosting, install the plugin and you're all set.
You can see how to use this plugin to create Gutenberg blocks here.
- Remarkably easy to master and use.
- Suitable for both long time developers and regular WordPress users without prior experience in development.
- Easy to set-up and use.
- Limited font options.
Getwid is developed by Motopress, a renowned WordPress developer without about thirty years in the business. Getwid takes the functionality of Gutenberg to the next level with its ease of control, and about thirty block options.
It is also easy to set up, and highly compatible with other plugins such as Instagram and MailChimp among others.
- The remarkable array of pre-made templates, all easy to find and navigate.
- Easy installation and insertion of blocks.
- Lightweight and do not cause page bloat which hinders speed.
- It has a comprehensive section block which makes it possible to design and create even more complex layouts.
- It has an inbuilt Instagram block, meaning there's no need to install additional plugins for that purpose.
- Highly compatible with third-party applications such as MailChimp.
- Some blocks are harder to figure out.
- Some blocks cannot be further customized.
3. Atomic Block
Atomic Block is one of the most popular Gutenberg plugins available. It helps webmasters create incredibly beautiful, and scalable websites in a matter of minutes. It is also compatible with a lot of other add-ons such as Newsletters, Sharing icons, and so on.
It is also quite reliable, and popular, thanks to it being around for quite some time now. Some of the blocks included in the Atomic Block plugin include Section and Layout block, Advanced Columns block, Newsletter block, Pricing block, Post Grid block, Drop Cap block, Author Profile block and much more.
- Supports both wide and full-width layout.
- It has an array of button customization types.
- Comprehensive articles and tutorials for new users.
- Comprehensive social sharing styles.
- Typography customization is limited.
4. Solo Blocks
The best part about Solo Block is its ability to create remarkable outlines and templates for your posts and other content types. It also offers numerous advanced block options, easy installation and use, and compatibility with almost every major theme and plugin available.
- Clean end elegant outlines.
- Lightweight and easy to load.
- Easy installation and use.
- Comprehensive theme compatibility.
- Not so many free blocks available.
5. Ultimate Blocks
Ultimate Blocks is another Gutenberg plugin enjoying remarkable popularity at the moment, thanks to its simplicity and efficiency. It provides eighteen additional blocks, all with blogging and e-commerce capabilities, as well as smooth integration with other necessary plugins.
Its major emphasis, however, is on blog posts, and as such it possesses virtually everything you need to make a good-looking, elegant block post.
- Eighteen free blocks.
- Blocks can be enabled and disabled conveniently.
- Highly customisable buttons.
- Adds a nice touch with its countdown block.
It comes with a free backend demo function.
- Layout options are limited.
- Typography choice is limited and highly dependent on the theme.
The appeal of the Stackable Gutenberg editor, no doubt, lies in its uniqueness. From the get-go, it is obvious the developers of this plugin set out to create a design that would provide an edge and a good amount of uniqueness for your websites.
It is also highly versatile, robust enough without being bloated, and boasts of a wide adoption with more than ten thousand active installations.
- It offers numerous free Gutenberg blocks.
- Straight-forward and lightweight without excessive, unnecessary features.
- Video background available in the free version.
- There are only a limited number of fonts available for some blocks.
- It also has a limited typography setting, choosing instead to inherit fonts design from the parent theme.
Last on our list is Coblocks, known for its ease and flexibility. It is free to download and smooth to operate while offering additional useful blocks such as gif blocks, tweet-sharing block, Section and Layout block, Advanced Columns block, Newsletter block, and much more.
Initially built by ThemeBeans, the plugin boasts of having a significant amount of unique blocks, perhaps more than any of its competitors, and what's even more impressive is that most of these are available for free.
- Smooth and easy layout, with a high amount of control from the user's end.
- Compatible with an integrated contact form.
- Customizable media card to display text and media combo with great flexibility.
- Compatible with an integrated Google Maps.
- A plugin is lightweight and does not increase page load time.
- High control over typography.
- It comes with 25 free blocks.
- It does not have a proper demo function.
Curated above are some of the very best Gutenberg plugin options for the year 2020. We’ve organized our list such that every webmaster, regardless of individual differences in aesthetics, is sure to find something that fits their content management requirements. From ease-of-use to lightweight design and typography flexibility, these plugins have it all and are sure to take your web design adventures to a whole new level.