WordPress is the blogging platform of choice of most bloggers. It is easy to use (setting up an account can be done in a few minutes) and has extensive customization settings (great news if you are a web designer or developer). Ready-made themes are all over the Internet, and a lot of plug-ins are available that will help increase a blog’s functionality. Five of our favorites are listed below:
Every blog should have this little gem of a plug-in. This greatly speeds up your site’s loading time by emptying all caches on your server. It also stores static (cached) files of your blog, which will make page viewing time a whole lot faster.
This plugin has many options that help you config various caching parts: page cache, database cache, browser cache. It also has options to integrated with CDN and minify HTML/JS/CSS to make your pages load faster.
- WP Super Cache: Very similar to W3 Total Cache, but less options
- Hyper Cache: Page cache
- Batcache: Cache by using Memcached
Akismet fights and filters out spam in the comments section by checking user comments against the Akismet spam database. If a comment shows signs of being spammy, it marks it as such and warns the blog owner accordingly. Great plug-in if you want your site free from annoying spammers.
Note: If your host or server has a problem with WordPress cron, don’t use Akismet as it will flood your database. See more details here.
- Block Spam By Math Reloaded: Block spams by forcing users to answer a simple math question
- Bad Behavior: Blog spams by analyzing HTTP headers
- Spam Free WordPress: Blog automated spams by IP and several security methods
In this age of smartphones, tablets and other forms of on-the-go computing, more and more people are accessing the Internet from mobile gadgets, instead of dedicated workstations like desktops and laptops. Since websites are rendered differently on mobile devices, blogs and other sites should be optimized for mobile viewing. MobilePress makes your site mobile-friendly with just a click of a button.
- WPTouch: Provides a theme for mobile devices. Has options to add more devices
- Jetpack: The latest version includes a mobile theme for mobile users
- WordPress Mobile Pack: Has a mobile switcher, themes, widgets
The FireWall 2 is an indispensable plug-in to protect your website or blog from hackers and other malicious attacks. It automatically detects and blocks hacking attempts, and protects other plug-ins from the same kind of attacks. It’s easy to install: just download, unzip and you’re ready to go. All settings are pre-configured so there is no need to change anything.
- 6Scan Security: Provides enterprise-grade security with a firewall, automatic backup, analytics and much more
- Wordfence Security: includes a firewall, virus scanning, real-time traffic with geolocation and more
As the name suggests, this underrated, yet handy, the plug-in creates printer and pdf friendly versions of your pages. It has the option to remove images and text sections so you can print only the things you want. You can also edit the page before printing or turning it into a PDF.
- CleanPrint: Output to print, PDF, email, Google Drive and Dropbox
- WP Posts to PDF: Allows visitor to download post in PDF format
In case you do not want to use a plugin for PDF, you can try to create your PDF from scratch, using the PDF editor from JotForm you can edit on the go. Therefore, you would get print-friendly PDF documents.
There you go. A small list of our favorite plug-ins. Can you think of other plug-ins that will be of great use to WordPress users?