When you work so hard on your website by designing the perfect theme, writing compelling blogs, and adding all kinds of interesting features to make it both user-friendly and attractive, then you want to it be popular on Google Search too. However, what many website owners don’t know is that using high-quality content isn’t enough. You also need to optimize the visuals so that they don’t affect the loading speed of the pages which impacts SEO.
If your WordPress website is filled with images, then
chances are that the loading speed of the pages is quite slow. However, you can
solve this problem by using some of the best image plugins that can optimize
the images for you. These include:
1. WP Smush
WP Smush plugin offers a simple and convenient solution for all your image optimization problems. All you have to do is install it on your website so that when you upload images, it optimizes them automatically. It also offers a bulk optimization option that allows you to optimize image archives that have up to 50 images (in the free version). There are some exclusive features as well that you can use in the premium version.
- Uses the server resources from the plugin
developer, so it doesn’t use more resources from your server
- Automatically optimizes and reduces the size of
new images that are uploaded
- Works well with the Google PageSpeed Insights
- In bulk optimization, you can compress only 50
images at a time
- Only supports images that have file size of 1 MB
Want to improve your WordPress theme’s performance without putting in a lot of work? Try ImageKit which is both an image compressor and a CDN for images. It’s different from other image compression plugins as you load the images from the Imagekit server. However, it’s easily one of the best tools on this list as it offers an intuitive dashboard with several customization options. You can also see the stats for the changes you have made and control how and where the images are displayed.
- Affordable pricing
- Seamless integration and good performance
- Real-time manipulation and optimization
- Dashboard and analytics could be complex for
3. Imagify Image Optimizer
Imagify Image Optimizer is another top plugin that you can try for your WordPress website to increase its efficiency. While it offers all the standard features like image resizing and bulk compression, it also offers three levels of compression- normal, aggressive, and ultra. At normal level, you get the best image quality but the file size is reduced to only a certain limit. On the other hand, at ultra level, you get the best compression but it’s also a lossy compression. However, these options can allow you to optimize your website with more flexibility as you can choose different compression levels for different images on the basis of their importance.
- Supports automatic image compression at the time
- Offers three compression levels so that you can
pick the one that perfectly fits your requirements
- Create backups of images and restore them to
original size on the fly if necessary
- Free service supports file sizes of only 2 MB or
Optimus is a good alternative for WP Smush which allows you to compress unlimited images as long as they are smaller than 100kb in size. It supports two image formats which are JPEG and PNG and supports bulk compression. It also supports WebP conversion and progressive JPEG.
- Simple and user-friendly interface
- Automatic optimization of base images as well as
multiple sized images that are created by WordPress viz. small, medium, large,
- 100kb file size cap on images (free version)
which is quite limiting for most images that you will use
Kraken is one of the most popular plugins on the WordPress platform which allows you to download and compress all the images from a web page by downloading them in a zipped folder. it’s a great tool to have if you want to take your website to the next level with pictures as it’s easy to use, keeps the backup of your original images in cloud storage and supports WP-CLI, image resizing, and also popular formats like JPG, GIF, and PNG.
- Excellent compression (can reduce the file size
by up to 63%)
- Automatically optimizes new and existing images
- Allow you to image compression quality from
settings menu for more control
- Preserves EXIF metadata and allows you to select
the attributes that you want to keep
- Expensive compared to other plugins
If you are only working with PNG and JPG images, then you can use TinyPNG. It uses lossy algorithms which means that you can reduce the size of your images drastically, although lower image quality is a trade-off that you have to settle with. That said, it isn’t exactly a bad thing since most plugins use lossy algorithms and give satisfactory results, and it’s the same here.
- Allows free optimization of up to 500 images per
- Get copyright for creation date, GPS location in
original images and metadata
- Simple and easy to use
- Supports only PNG and JPG formats
- Uses only lossy algorithms
7. ShortPixel Image Optimizer
ShortPixel Image Optimizer is an image compression plugin that offers free service in a different manner compared to other plugins. This is because rather than capping the file size of the source image or giving a free trial for a certain number of days, it allows you to compress up to 100 images per month. So, if you don’t use a lot of images, then this arrangement might just work for you since there isn’t any limit on the file size of the images themselves. Plus, the plugin easy to use, gives you options for the EXIF tag, lossy and lossless optimization, etc. and starts compressing the images as soon as you install in on your website.
- Lossy, Lossless, and Glossy compression options
- Convert up to 100 images per month for free
irrespective of size and resolution
- Supports JPEG, PNG, PNG and even Retina images
- Supports unlimited websites as you can use the
same API with each website
- Setting up and using the API key can be tricky
for average users
- Backups take up server space and you have to
remove them manually even after uninstalling the plugin
ImageRecyle is a nifty image compression plugin that supports JPG, PNG, and GIF files but also the PDF files which we all know can be quite big in size especially when they have lots of pages. It comes with a 15-day free trial and supports many useful features like restoration of original files, one-click compressions, sub-accounts (ideal for agencies), and more.
- Automatically compresses new and existing images
and PDF files
- API for custom integration
- Folder-based optimization
- Affordable pricing plans
- Free trial
- Doesn’t have the scheduled
optimization feature that some plugins have
So, there you have it- some of the
best WordPress plugins that you can use to compress the images on your
WordPress website and boost its SERP ranks
easily. Feel free to try a few of these options to find the one that meets your
requirements perfectly. Then, after
using it for a while if you are satisfied, then you can even get a paid version
of the same to enjoy even more features.